Spiritual nourishment is just as necessary as routinely eating food. Not only do we need to feed our natural bodies we also need to feed our souls. BrainyQuotes defines nourishment as the act or state of being nourished.
What Does It Mean To Be Nourished?
In order to get nourishment for our bodies we must have food and other substances to provide the necessary nutrients. Likewise, spiritual nourishment provides something that encourages our ability to develop ideas, explore our feelings and master our abilities. This quote from BrainyQuote.com sums up the concept of spiritual nourishment:
There are realities we all share, regardless of our nationality, language, or individual tastes. As we need food, so do we need emotional nourishment: love, kindness, appreciation, and support from others. — J. Donald Walters
Understanding who you are and feeding your spirit are very important in maintaining balance and living a successful life. We find love, kindness, appreciation and support in community. I have found that my faith helps me to stay centered. The relationships I have developed in my church provide a strong sense of support and comfort. Not only do we share our faith, there is a desire to serve each other and our world.
As I thought about what has led to the results I’ve achieved I considered the spiritual habits or rituals in my life that give me the courage and confidence to keep moving forward.
Let’s look at a few ways you can find spiritual nourishment:
- Each day find a few minutes to be quiet. I understand the difficulty of working, taking care of children, maintaining a household and all of the things we encounter in a day. You don’t need an hour, just set aside a few minutes at the beginning of your day and at the end. As a woman of faith I spend time reading the Bible and in prayer.
- Gratitude. Every morning when you awaken even before you get out of bed take a few moments to think of one thing you are grateful for on that day. You might consider keeping a small journal or notebook with you to record what you are most thankful for in your life. As you go through your day watch for examples of things that make you smile or laugh. When you are feeling discouraged reviewing what you have written will provide encouragement.
- Meditation and prayer will help you find peace and relaxation. I love to take long walks and talk to God. Recently it has been very cold and so I have been spending my time sitting in a chair snuggled during my devotional time.
- Feeding your spirit. Listening to inspirational music and talks.
- Find a strong support system – who is in your inner circle; those closest to you? Do they add to your life or subtract from it? Some people find belonging to a local church to be a source of support and inspiration. Others find joining a small group is an organic way to build and nurture relationship.
- Celebrate your life. When you experience a win, regardless of how big or small, celebrate! You don’t have to spend large amounts of money to do something special for yourself and your family. You might watch a special TV show, take your kids to the park, or simply take a bubble bath. Be creative and enjoy.
- Exercise is another way to decrease stress and allow you to clear the clutter in your mind. Taking a walk or maybe a bike ride.
- Getting adequate sleep. Studies indicate we need at least 7 hours of sleep. Many studies have shown that a large percentage of injuries on the job and accidents are directly related to sleep deprivation.
Just adopting one or two of these ideas will begin to shift your awareness and add nourishment to your soul.
Whatever you do with your life follow the law of intentionality which states growth doesn’t just happen. You must plan to succeed. Don’t just allow life to happen to you. Do not be afraid to make mistakes. Warren Bennis stated:
“A mistake is simply another way of doing things.”
You decide the best way for you to connect spiritually and remember don’t let your past determine your future. If you would like to explore this further contact me for a consultation.
To Your Empowered Living,